The next time you’re feeling shy and overwhelmed, try out these Do’s and Don’ts to make others think you’re feeling completely confident (even if you’re not)!
- Don’t: Wear dull clothes. Instead of trying to blend in with the background, get yourself noticed by wearing confident reds, oranges, or yellows.
- Do: Get your body language right. Hold your head high no matter how nervous you feel. Don’t clasp your hands in front of you or fold them. It’s much better to stand with your arms hanging relaxed at your sides. Sit with your hands resting loosely in your lap.
- Don’t: Hide behind your hair. Let people see your face. Hair swept back into a neat ponytail says that you’re okay with people looking at you.
- Do: Smile. People often confuse shyness with unfriendliness. A smile shows you’re friendly and makes people feel relaxed around you.
- Don’t: Talk to quickly. Relax and take a deep breath. Take you’re time and give yourself a chance to think about what you want to say. Avoid just blurting out the first thing that comes into your head.
- Do: Look people in the eye. One of the most obvious signs of shyness is when you avoid making eye contact with the person you’re talking to.
- Don’t: Chew your nails. Nibbling on fingers is a dead giveaway that you’re feeling nervous.
- Do: Lift your spirits with a scent. Apply a dot of grapefruit or another citrus essential oil on your wrists before heading out the door in the morning. Both are uplifting scents that are great for boosting your confidence.