We all have our favorite makeup products we wouldn’t go anywhere without, but when packing for a vacation it isn’t always possible to take everything you want. Less is definitely more on a beach vacation, so I have compiled a list of essential products to take for your week (if lucky two) in the sunshine, including ways to pack bits without taking up too much space! Let’s get into it!
- Primer – Laura Mercier Foundation Primer has UVA/UVB protection and is full of vitamins A, C, and E, which act as antioxidants that protect the skin from the harmful, aging effects of the environment. It is also extremely lightweight – perfect for hot, sticky climates.
- Foundation / BB Cream – On vacation, I tend to wear a BB cream (BB stands for blemish balm/beauty balm). It works as an all-in-one product to replace moisturizer, foundation and primer. My favorite is YSL Top Secrets BB Cream, which has the added bonus of being SPF 25 too.
- Translucent Powder – Your skin can become very oily on vacation, especially in the evenings with the humid weather, so a long-lasting powder is ideal for your vacation bag. Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder is extremely lightweight and leaves skin with a flawless, natural finish, with no caking or creasing.
- Eyeshadow – MAC has a variety of different sized inserts, which are designed to fit their Pro Palettes. For traveling and on-the-go makeup, I recommend their eyeshadow palette with 15 separate inserts. I have personalized mine with my favorite (mainly neutral) day-to-day eyeshadows. The palette gives you so much choice and saves loads of space and hassle. Many brands also have the same sized eyeshadows, so you aren’t restricted to only MAC eyeshadows.
- Bronzer & Highlight – Kevin Aucoin’s The Celestial Bronzing Veil gives skin a natural glow and will help you look even more bronzed if you have already caught a little sun. The bronzer uses crystal pigments in silver, bronze, and gold so you can also use it to highlight, saving space as there’s no need to pack a separate highlighter.
- Waterproof Mascara – Maybelline Mascara Great Lash Waterproof in Very Black is my vacation must-have! This mascara never clumps and leaves your lashes looking fuller but still natural. Perfect if you want to wear a little makeup while swimming or sunbathing.
- Lips – Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Moisturizing Lip Balm is my vacation essential. I actually use it all year round! It keeps your lips feeling smooth, smells delicious, and is the perfect size to keep in your handbag, it has the added benefit of SPF 15 too!
- Sunscreen – A Must Have! Even if your makeup contains SPF, it’s important to use a dedicated sunscreen. My favorite is Garnier Ambre Solaire. Its lightweight formula is moisturizing, easy to blend, and doesn’t leave you looking greasy. No matter what you use, be sure to check the rating for protection from both UVA and UVB rays. Choose a sunscreen with a high SPF, remember to apply 15 minutes before sun exposure and reapply regularly. Sunburn isn’t a good look for anyone!