Beginning the morning with perfectly applied makeup only to glance in the mirror at lunchtime to see a shiny face and half the makeup smudged away, it has all happened to the best of us!
This is because our pores naturally release oils, which keep our skin from drying out. This is great, but sometimes when mixed with makeup it can lead to an oily, shiny face.
But have no fear, there are ways to prevent – or at least reduce the shine.
- Make sure you wash your face with clean hands. This is to avoid rubbing any oils from your fingers onto your skin.
- Use a translucent powder after makeup application. Particularly focus on the T-Zone, around the nostrils and chin area.
- Research the products that you are using and make sure they are right for your skin type.
- Try using a mineral powder foundation. These absorb any excess oil your skin may produce.
- Don’t apply too much of products like moisturizer and primer. Your skin can only absorb a certain amount at once, so if you apply too much it will result in your makeup literally sliding off.
- Blot particularly shiny areas with a tissue throughout the day.
- If you find your kohl eyeliner smudges throughout the day, try swapping it for a gel liner. These are much more waterproof and stay put for a lot longer.
- Exfoliating is a great way to combat oily skin.
- If you have an oily skin type, use a good night treatment that is specifically for oily skin – this way your skin will be prepared for the morning.
- If all else fails, there are always homemade remedies you can try. Steep a tea bag in boiling water, wait for it to cool and lay it on your skin for a few minutes, or try layering slices of cucumber all over your face and let them sit for 10 to 15 minutes.