Fine or Sparse Eyelashes
Mascara wands that have close-set bristles will add volume to sparse eyelashes. Mascara that is too heavy will make fine eyelashes fall. Look for brushes with short, wide-set bristles and product that doesn’t appear to be dripping wet. For lashes that can handle a bit of weight, try using mascaras that contain fibers to add volume and length. Look for mascaras with ingredients such as nylon. You can usually see fiber-like materials on the wand. If the first coat is not weighing the lashes down and seems to be doing its job, feel free to apply another coat for additional volume.
Waterproof mascara is the best option, for lashes that tend not to hold a curl, as it is often lighter weight than standard mascaras. Use a silicone-based eye makeup remover specifically made to remove waterproof mascara.
Very thick eyelashes can sometimes overpower the rest of the face when mascara is applied. Look for tinting mascara. Thin and short silicone bristles (most mascaras will show the bristles on the package) are also great for lengthening lashes without adding fullness. Look for keywords such as “natural” or “lengthening”. Wipe off the wand carefully before applying to remove excess mascara for a thinner, more even application.
On lashes that don’t require any extra length, look for long bristles that are further apart, with keywords such as “separating” on the package.
- Choose the mascara wand that will provide the type of application you need:
- Wands that have bristles that flare out in several directions will add volume.
- Wands that have thin spiral bristles get hard-to-reach areas.
- Wands with straight bristles will separate lashes.
- Combs deposit color well, but aren’t as good for volume.
Wear waterproof mascara on the lower lashes if your mascara has a tendency to smudge.
- While looking down into a mirror, apply mascara starting at the base of the lashes and gently wiggle to push the bristles into the lashes, and follow through to the tips of the lashes.
- Allow the first coat to dry completely, then apply a second coat. Try applying to the outer corners of the lashes only, to make eyes appear more lifted.